Gara Raksha Mask
Gara Raksha Mask
(SKU: LS2040B6EF) A Traditional Sri Lanka Dance Mask Called Gara Raksha (ගරා යකා) Mask, Representing The King of The Demons. Designed to ward off evil influences and evil spirits, the Gara mask is widely used, and is not as large as other masks, but is a very attractive mask. This mask is used in peraheras (religious procession) rituals to cure sickness, folk dramas, and processions by fisherman to increase their catch. Showing the gara mask is the final performance. It must be noted that the gara demon ritual to cure illness is a separate performance. The mask of the gara demon is described in verse as follows:
On the head is gem studded ornament in the middle are three serpent hoods. The eyes are of a buffalo – the two lips Are red and two white teeth jut out Wearing three snakes on the head like a crown. Majestic in appearance. Like a pandol in appearance as well. The gara demon now comes quickly Fearsome is this mask, it is green in colour, the lips are red in colour and the teeth are jutting out and down wards.Notes:
- The actual product may slightly vary from the images shown on the website due to the fact that each peace is hand-made and hand-painted.
- Certain countries require that all wood based items are fumigated before arriving in the respective country. Please check import regulations in your country. If fumigation is required, buyer needs to pay the costs assoicated with fumigation.
- Read more about (a) Masks in general (b) Raksha Masks (c) Sanni Masks (d) Kolam Masks
- Shipping cost is calculated based on Volumetric Weight. Please refer to Shipping Policy for more details.
- Masks are made with acrylic paint on goda kaduru (strychnine tree) wood.